Are vests in or out?

 
I think the word vest might make some people think back to the early 90's.  I had a couple great vests in elementary school.  Actually, maybe I thought they were great, but not sure anyone else did.  I didn't really know much about fashion back then - all I knew is that I wanted to be DJ Tanner from Full House and she wore vests.
 
 
Now, you could say that I am a vest fan. 
I think they are a great piece to add to any fall or winter wardrobe.  There are a few types that I gravitate toward - mainly the open sweater vest that falls longer.  I wanted to feature some vest ideas in this post, so let's take a look at some options and maybe this will inspire you to try wearing a vest this season.
 
 
This is a chunky sweater vest from Ann Taylor Loft.  I have paired it below with a light pink blousy top, and wore it with skinny jeans and some great heels from Banana Republic.  I actually wore this outfit last weekend to a baby shower. 
It was dressy enough, comfy and feminine.
 
 
The next vest is a similar shape, only it's dark gray and a much lighter material.  This one is from last season and I bought it at Gap Outlet.

 
So below are two different ways to wear this sweater vest.  The left picture is a simple, clean look with just a statement necklace by Stella & Dot, and bright colored long sleeve shirt.  The right picture is a bit more pumped up with not only the bright shirt, but also a fun scarf to fit the season.

 
This next vest is honestly one of my favorite pieces in my entire wardrobe.  I just love it.  The camel color, the shape, the way it hangs and it's versatility make it a go-to for me.  I got it last season at Lord & Taylor.
 
 
Here I am wearing it with a simple ivory shirt, my new Anthropologie medallion necklace, Gap 1969 boot cut jeans, and Tory Burch wedges.  It also looks nice with skinny jeans or leggings and riding boots.

 
The last vest I will feature is the most adventurous one I own.  It's a lot of material and full of ruffles and girliness.  It's very red in person and is hard to maneuver on the hanger, but it's kind of neat looking on.  This is a recent purchase from Jenny Boston. 
 
 
 Since this vest is a statement piece, I have toned it down with a simple pair of skinny black jeans, black heels, and a light gray long sleeved shirt.  I am wearing the Medina Bib necklace from Stella & Dot, but it's silver so it doesn't draw much attention and blends with the shirt. 
 
 
If you ask me, vests are in.  So are ponchos!  It just takes a little creativity to make these pieces work.  Sometimes experimenting with fashion is the best part of getting dressed.

Comments