Faking It...

Did the title intrigue you?  Ha, well now since you are here, I will tell you what this post is really about.  Faking a trip to the hair salon.  I am a loyal and long time client of Katie Bedard at Salon Eleganza in Derry, NH (shout out!) who has been coloring my lovely locks for years and years now.  She is a "Tigi" color expert.  I leave her chair always loving what she has done with highlighting, low lighting, toning and brightening up any dull hair style.
 
(She did my wedding hair color and updo, just a sampling here)
 
 
Anyways, back to faking it - what girl doesn't try to extend the 4-6 weeks between
hair treatments into 8 weeks to save a little $$?  Well I do!  Here is how I manage to squeak out 1-2 extra weeks before finding myself back in Katie's seat.
 
If you are anything like me, the mousy brown and unwelcomed gray hairs start showing up around week 4-5 after my most recent hair treatment.  They anger me!  I try to hide them by changing my hair part, or styling it differently, but they sneak up and stare at me in the mirror every time! These pictures below are (sadly) examples of the creeping grays that haunt my dreams!
 


One helpful product that I use regularly is Bumble and Bumble Blondish Hair Powder.  This is a spray-on Dry Shampoo that offers color!  It's quite amazing I must say, and comes in brown, black and auburn as well.  It's not an exact match - it's meant to blend into your current hair color.  I buy mine from Sephora for around $35, but it lasts me for about 3-4 months.  (I wash my hair 2-3 times per week) 
 
 
To use this product, I wash and dry my hair as usual.  Using my finger tips, I lift my hair and expose the roots that need touching up, then holding the can about 5-8 inches from my head, I spray the roots.  I use my fingers to kind of shake my hair and blend it in. 
*Note that you will get color on your fingers!  The good news is that it immediately washes off with warm water and regular hand soap.*
 
Since this is also a dry shampoo, you will see that the oils near the roots are absorbed and this product also acts as a volumizer.  I use a tease comb near the roots and get a little lift from using it as well.  It's really a 3 in 1 product that is just super!  After one thorough application, I typically get 2 days out of it before needing to re-apply.
 
The other product that I love to use to "fake it" is the Root Touch Up by Clairol.  Have you heard of this fabulous product?  I have been using it for a while to get rid of my stubborn grays that annoyingly appear. 
 
 

 
This hair product comes in LOTS of colors to meet your hair color as closely as possible.  Usually I go for a medium brown, but since I have some reddish highlights right now, I am being adventurous and I'm going to try the medium auburn this time.
 
 
So here is what it looks like when you open the box.   After a while you don't even need the directions anymore. 

 
Basically you combine the color with the conditioning treatment, and then apply it to your roots.  I only do the areas that are visible from the front.  There is only so much product, so you have to apply sparingly.  I frame the face and also ensure that my part is done. 

 
 Don't be frightened by the color.  It looks dramatic at first, but after you wash it out, it blends naturally with your hair color.
 
 
After letting it sit for 10 minutes, you wash it out and then dry and style your hair as usual.


 
 As you can see, it blends nicely and will buy you at least 1-2 weeks before needing to get to the salon again.  Enjoy these tips, I hope they work for you!
 

Comments