It's a Leggings World, and we just live in it!

Leggings. They have taken over women's casual fashion like yoga pants did a few years ago.  They are everywhere, on everyone - in every shape, color and texture.  This post could be pages and pages long with all of the options out there for leggings, but for today, I wanted to focus on some basics. 

 
You can pick up a pair of leggings at any store these days.  Ann Taylor Loft, Target - heck, I even saw a few varieties at my local Walgreens the other day.  But it's important to understand that you will get what you pay for, and leggings are not a "one size fits all" item.  If you are serious about making leggings a part of your wardrobe, then there are a few brands that I highly recommend for long-lasting wear and shaping. 
 
I make legging purchases with caution.  I know my body type, and if I were to just throw on any old pair of low waisted, loose elastic leggings, it will not be pretty - for anyone.  So I am selective and I really stick to solid, dark colors to flatter my lower half.  You will never see me wearing any shade lighter than chocolate brown, or perhaps dark gray for leggings.  I think Step 1 in purchasing leggings is knowing your body type, and what you can pull off. 
 
If you are like me, you want to look pulled together, smooth and have no bulging --and of course, no muffin top.  I know these are all terms that are hard to associate to yourself, but let's be real ladies!  It's better to be aware of your body type and dress accordingly, than to avoid and dress carelessly.  So having said that,  I have no shame in sharing my favorite legging brand - Spanx High-waisted cotton leggings.
 

 Above is the packaging they come in.  Spanx can be found at high end retail stores like Nordstrom, Lord & Taylor, and boutiques like Baldoria near Annie's Hallmark in Salem, NH.  I know my size and the ones that fit best, so I order online at www.spanx.com.  These high-waisted leggings are $72, but I have had mine for nearly 2 years -- they are a sturdy make that doesn't fade and will last you a long time.  Right now, www.zappos.com carries Spanx leggings and they ship next day for free!  If you are not in love, then the Zappos return policy is outstanding.
 


 
My very cute and stylish friend, who is very petite I might add, introduced me to Spanx leggings a couple years ago.  She always looks great in leggings and tunics.  I asked her what her secret was and she showed me that Spanx leggings are the perfect material, and they come up high, just under the bra line.  Seems excessive at first, but this prevents them from rolling down, not staying up, and literally keeps them in place the entire day.  It goes to show that Spanx are meant for all sizes.
 
Another great line is made by Spanx, called Assets.  The difference?  Assets are more affordable and easier to find in stores like Target.
 

 
You will notice that this style, called the Seamless Slimming Leggings feature a thick waistline.  It is not as dramatic as the Spanx ones featured above, but I do love these Assets leggings.  They are high enough that they offer similar features for nearly a third of the cost at only $28 online. 
 
 
 
 
Above I have pictured the navy and brown versions of Assets Seamless Slimming leggings.
 
Now, can you see the difference with these options, compared to some of the choices on most racks?  These gray leggings below are a good example.  I cannot wear them unless I am rocking a VERY oversized sweatshirt because they show every nook and cranny on me.  Sure, they are only $12.99 at Marshalls, but they offer zero support in the waist, hip, thigh or stomach.  They don't make the finals for me.
 
 
Honorable mention would be the leggings from Ann Taylor Loft, INC @ Macy's and Black House, White Market.  Great quality and good back ups, but they are no Spanx!
What about you?  Do you have a favorite pair of leggings, and if so, where are yours from?

Comments

  1. They also have Tights in both brands that are AWESOME. I'm rockin the high waisted ones today. LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment