The Poncho: Just put it on!

What is your initial thought when you think of a "Poncho"?  

"Looks like something out of a Chicos catalog."
"A poncho - oh yea, my brother is wearing one of those with a sombrero for Halloween."
"A large blanket in tribal print."

Yes, all of those thoughts could certainly prove true.  But the Poncho can also be a refreshing look for any wardrobe, and a great change out for a sweater, scarf or shawl.  Do you know how comfortable the Poncho actually is?  Well then stop walking by it on the rack and just put it on!  You might like it!

I own a couple ponchos.  The first one I ever owned, I purchased around autumn of last year.  I picked it up at a Lyn Evans Potpourri Boutique fundraiser at their location in Andover, MA.  I saw it on the rack, loved the print, and when I picked it up I hesitated because...

well...it's a PONCHO after all. 

I mean, what will people think - is this even in style - how do I wear it? 
 
 
But it was SUPER comfy when I put it on, and in the dressing room, a couple ladies were already complimenting me on this piece.  So...I got it and ever since it's been a great purchase.  This type of poncho has sleeves (kind of) where you put your arms, and the rest is really just a very drape-y look that is easy to wear with leggings, skinny jeans, heels or boots.  In a word, it's awesome.
 
 
So this season I knew I wanted a few more to add to my Poncho Collection (ha!) since I am now a fan ... so I picked up this one from a recent Jenny Boston auction. 
To be honest, I haven't worn this one yet. 
 

 
I have to admit, I am a little nervous about wearing this one.  It doesn't have sleeves - just the shape is made to wrap around and lay over a shirt underneath.  But I loved the colors of it (I am a big fan of warm tones - camel, brown, the earth tones) so we will see what happens once I put it on.  I will likely pair it with a grayish undershirt and some skinny jeans and dark brown riding boots.  I promise to post a pic once I wear it.
 
Then there is this piece which is also from Jenny Boston, which I couldn't wait to wear!
 

 
I love everything about this poncho - the ruffle around the neckline, the great tribal print in gray and navy, and also the way that it falls in the front AND the back.  This one is a winner.
 
 
What a perfect piece for a cool fall day.  I wore it into the city to meet my friend for lunch and poke around Newbury St. in Boston.  It was so comfortable yet stylish - and it replaced a coat that I would otherwise have had to carry around.

 
At first glance it might even look like a sweater, but don't be fooled.  It's the Poncho.
 

 
Why not give it a try.  If you start to look for them, you will see they are everywhere - Marshalls, Macy's and lots of mainstream stores. 
Just put it on, you might like it!

Comments